Intendant Aviel Cahn
Principal Guest Conductor Alexander Joel
Opera Vlaanderen and the Royal Ballet Flanders, together Kunsthuis, make up the largest cultural institution in Flanders. They bring the great classic opera and ballet repertoire as well as new high quality creations by some of the world’s leading artists to the widest possible audience. All the opera and ballet performances take place at the company’s home theatres in Antwerp and Ghent. Principal Guest Conductor of the Symphonic Orchestra of Opera Vlaanderen is maestro Alexander Joel.
Opera Vlaanderen is offering the following position: Concertmaster.
Together with the chorus and ballet, the Symphonic Orchestra of Opera Vlaanderen is one of three artistic ensembles at Kunsthuis. The orchestra plays in the company’s own opera and ballet productions. In addition it performs several symphonic concerts every season. As a performing musician you will rehearse and perform in the productions in accordance with the programme. You will be under the direct supervision of the conductor. Administratively, you report to the manager of the music department.
It is a full-time position (100%) in which you play 50% of the shifts.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- You have trained as a professional violin player (Conservatoire Master standard);
- experience as a concertmaster is an asset;
- your technique is outstanding;
- excellent solo and orchestral playing;
- you have strong leadership qualities: you manage the complete section of first violins (including substitute and extra musicians), you coach and motivate the musicians of your section;
- you are first point of contact and represent your section for the artistic board;
- you have an excellent sight-reading;
- you are familiar with both the opera and concert repertoires;
- you are a team-player and feel comfortable in an orchestra;
- you have a positive, inquiring and flexible attitude.
- A full-time, permanent contract (starting at the beginning of the season 2018-19) in a six-day workweek;
- an employment of 50 % in the context of a 100% contract; division of tasks to be discussed in mutual agreement with the colleague concertmaster and/or the artistic direction;
- a flexible schedule including weekends and evenings;
- a negotiable salary on a Central-European level (cfr. Belgium, Germany, Holland, France), luncheon vouchers, reimbursement of public transport expenses and incentive payments for bicycle commute;
- an international and artistic work environment.
Preferrably via using the form at the bottom of this page, before 1st of April 2018.
The audition takes place in Opera GHENT, on Wednesday, the 9th of May 2018.
The programme consists of:
- First movement and cadenza from Mozart:
- violin concerto no. 3 in G major, K.216
- OR violin concerto no. 4 in D major, K.218
- OR violin concerto no. 5 in A major, K.219
- Complete romantic concerto:
- Beethoven (D Major, Op. 61)
- OR Brahms (D Major, Op. 77)
- OR Mendelssohn (E minor, Op. 64)
- OR Paganini (No. 1 in D Major, Op. 6)
- OR Saint Saëns (No. 3 in B minor, Op. 61)
- OR Sibelius (D minor, Op. 47)
- OR Tsjaikovski (D Major, Op. 35)
- Orchestral excerpts (to be downloaded from the 17th April 2018 on).
After a first selection round on the basis of the cover letters, the candidates will receive an answer by 1st February 2018 at the earliest.
After a positive evaluation you will receive more information and details concerning the further course of the audition.
Kunsthuis strives to promote equal opportunities. Skills are more important than age, gender, ethnicity or nationality.