Vacancy second violin tutti
Artistic Director Aviel Cahn
Principal Guest Conductor Alexander Joel
Opera Vlaanderen and the Royal Ballet Flanders, together Kunsthuis, make up the largest cultural institution in Flanders. They bring the great classic opera and ballet repertoire as well as new high quality creations by some of the world’s leading artists to the widest possible audience. All the opera and ballet performances take place at the company’s home theatres in Antwerp and Ghent.
Opera Vlaanderen is offering the following position
a Second Violin Tutti
Together with the chorus and ballet, the Symphonic Orchestra of Opera Vlaanderen is one of three artistic ensembles at Kunsthuis. The orchestra plays in the company’s own opera and ballet productions. In addition it performs several symphonic concerts every season. As a performing musician you will rehearse and perform in the productions in accordance with the programme. You will be under the direct supervision of the conductor. Administratively, you report to the manager of the music department.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- You have trained as a professional violin player (Conservatoire Master standard);
- your technique is outstanding;
- excellent solo and orchestral playing;
- you have an excellent sight-reading;
- you are familiar with both the opera and concert repertoires;
- you are a team-player and feel comfortable in an orchestra;
- you have a positive, inquiring and flexible attitude;
- you have basic knowledge of Dutch or are willing to learn.
- A full-time, permanent contract (starting at the beginning of the season 2018-19) in a six-day workweek;
- a flexible schedule including weekends and evenings;
- a competitive salary within the sector, luncheon vouchers, reimbursement of public transport expenses and incentive payments for bicycle commute;
- an international and artistic work environment.
Preferrably via our website www.operaballet.be/vacancies, before the 1st of April 2018.
You will receive an answer by the 1st February 2018 at the earliest.
The audition takes place in Opera GHENT, on Saturday, the 5th of May 2018.
The programme consists of:
- First movement and cadenza from Mozart:
- violin concerto no. 3 in G major, K.216
- OR violin concerto no. 4 in D major, K.218
- OR violin concerto no. 5 in A major, K.219
- First movement and cadenza from 1 of the following romantic concerti:
- Beethoven (D Major, Op. 61)
- OR Brahms (D Major, Op. 77)
- OR Mendelssohn (E minor, Op. 64)
- OR Paganini (No. 1 in D Major, Op. 6)
- OR Saint Saëns (No. 3 in B minor, Op. 61)
- OR Sibelius (D minor, Op. 47)
- OR Tsjaikovski (D Major, Op. 35)
- Orchestral excerpts (to be downloaded from the 14th April 2018 on).
After a first selection round on the basis of the cover letters, the candidates will receive an answer by the 15th February 2018 at the earliest. After a positive evaluation you will receive more information and details concerning the further course of the audition.
Kunsthuis strives to promote equal opportunities. Skills are more important than age, gender, ethnicity or nationality.